The current U.S. restrictions on travel apply to all citizens and residents of the U.S. no matter from what country you travel to Cuba and no matter if you hold citizenship from another country as well. Only persons authorized by U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) may use the charter service.

Before travel to Cuba, visit the OFAC website for more information.

Persons or groups allowed to travel to Cuba
General Licenses

The Regulations currently contain twelve general licenses authorizing travel-related transactions involving Cuba. General licenses constitute blanket authorization for those transactions set forth in the relevant regulation. No further permission from OFAC is required to engage in transactions covered by a general license. Individuals wishing to engage in the following activities involving Cuba should first review the general license contained in the Regulations to determine whether their travel-related transactions are covered by a general license:

  1. Family visits
  2. Official business of the U.S. government, foreign governments, and certain intergovernmental organizations
  3. Journalistic activity
  4. Professional research and professional meetings
  5. Educational activities
  6. Religious activities
  7. Public performances, clinics, workshops, athletic and other competitions, and exhibitions
  8. Support for the Cuban people
  9. Humanitarian projects
  10. Activities of private foundations or research or educational institutes
  11. Exportation, importation, or transmission of information or information materials
  12. Certain export transactions that may be considered for authorization under existing Department of Commerce regulations and guidelines with respect to Cuba or engaged in by U.S.-owned or -controlled foreign firms

Specific licenses are not issued for transactions that are authorized pursuant to the provisions of a general license. See 31 C.F.R. - 501.801(a). Those individuals who determine that their activities are authorized by a general license must be able to document that their travel qualifies under that general license and must keep records that are required to be furnished to OFAC or other law enforcement officials (e.g., U.S. Customs and Border Protection) upon demand for a period of five years after the travel transactions take place. See 31 C.F.R. -- 501.601, 501.602.

Specific Licenses

OFAC will consider the issuance of specific licenses on a case-by-case basis to permit travel-related transactions where the proposed activity is not covered by a general license but is addressed by one of the statements of licensing policy listed in section 515.560(a) and set forth in related sections of the Regulations. A specific license applicant must wait for OFAC to issue the license prior to engaging in travel-related transactions.
Individuals wishing to engage in the following travel-related transactions involving Cuba should first review the specific license policies to determine whether their activities may qualify for a specific license. Visit OFAC's website to apply for a specific license.